Sunday, February 5, 2017

Shree's Expert Teacher Focus: Susan Walsh

By Jessica Addeo




 Susan Walsh RYT 500 Anusara-Inspired Yoga Teacher

 Susan’s classes incorporate her experience in teaching yoga since 2005 and her studies in therapeutics (over 100 hours). She always greets her students with a smile and her classes include some of the best physical adjustments around. Susan uses her background in yoga, personal training and aerobics, as well as her own personal experience with injuries, to lead a class focused on alignment. As such, she is now also teaching a chair yoga class on Wednesdays (see schedule below). For her teacher focus Susan shares what she is working on in her own practice, what she is reading and her antidote for the cold.

I feel my practice these days is on the rebound.  I have had injuries in the past from various exercise classes I was doing that have taken time and lots of patience to heal.  I had torn hamstring attachments and as a result of that injury knee cap tracking issues.  They are both doing very well after lots of therapy over the past year and now I feel my practice is becoming strong again.  I have learned much from my injuries but am very grateful to be able to practice without much restriction, thus the rebound.  I read a book a little over a year ago called “Younger Next Year for Women” by Chris Crowley & Henry Lodge.  The timing of this book was perfect for me because it talked about what I was doing to heal my injuries was to make me healthier next year, results do not happen overnight.  It’s a process.  The process became my practice.

I am currently reading “Rising Strong” by Brene Brown.  It’s about rising strong after we fall, no matter what type of fall it is (personal, professional…).  She says vulnerability is the birthplace of many of the fulfilling experiences we long for -  love, belonging, joy, creativity, and trust.  “The process of regaining our emotional footing in the midst of struggle is where our courage is tested and our values are forged. Rising strong after a fall is how we cultivate wholeheartedness in our lives; it’s the process that teaches us the most about who we are.”  Once again the process becomes my practice.

Since the weather has gotten colder (and I hate cold weather) I have started drinking more tea.  My favorite drink lately has been a Matcha green tea latte made with Matcha powder.  Matcha is very high in antioxidants and makes a nice comforting drink for this time of year.  I heat up milk, usually almond, coconut or cashew, place it in my blender with some Matcha powder and some sweetener.  I use the blender to give the drink a frothiness, but the blender is not necessary.  Water is also an option in place of milk.  Starbucks also sells a Green Tea Latte made with Matcha powder so if I am out and about, it has been my go to drink of the season.  


 Stop in for Susan’s classes at the following times:

Tuesday 12:00 to 1:15 pm Level I Yoga
Wednesday 9:30 to 11:00 am Aligned Flow I&II
Wednesday 11:15 to 12:15 pm Chair Yoga

This Friday Night: Flow Your Week Away
With Susan Walsh Friday February 10th 6:30 to 8:00 PM
$20 or 1 class from your card

With this slow flow, our bodies will have a Friday night party together as we flow to the music and wind down our week. Slow, steady movements will release tension, clear work week stress and get you ready for your weekend. We will end the practice holding poses as we flow with our breath.


Popular Posts