Sunday, February 12, 2017

Shree's Expert Teacher Focus: Whitney Speer

By Jessica Addeo



Whitney Speer, Certified Romana Pilates Instructor

Whitney has been a “student” of movement for decades. She found Pilates in 1991 and has been teaching Pilates since 2000. Whitney focuses on how you do an activity, not what you are doing. Her classes will challenge you and leave you with a strong, solid center. Below she tells us about her own personal practice, what she is reading and her tip for staying healthy year round.

What does your personal practice consist of?

In my studio, I spend an hour four times a week doing Pilates. I vary my workout each day, trying to hit the major points of the foundational work in three of the workouts and then “experimenting” with methods or equipment in the fourth. I also meditate 20 minutes a day to keep me calm and focused.

What’s on your bedside table?

The list is is so long: Pema Chodron’s “When Things Fall Part”, “Anatomy Trains”, and for fun, “My Year in Provence” by Peter Mayle

How do you keep yourself healthy in winter (spring, summer, fall)?

I WALK! My goal is an hour a day, all year long, with my Pitbull, Shayna. When I find human companions to join us, I’m very happy. I’m much happier walking with you than having coffee or lunch or such….

Stop in for Whitney’s class on Friday from 11:15 to 12:15 pm. Whitney will also be starting an 8 Week Evening Series on Mondays from 7:30to 8:30 pm (April 2nd to May 22).


Popular Posts